Notch8, a division of Scientist.com, is seeking a driven Junior Developer to join our team. We are looking for a talented, motivated problem-solver with good collaboration skills. A successful candidate will have a good technical acumen and a thirst for leveling up their coding skills in our stack. Though we are San Diego-based, we have successfully gone fully remote in 2020 and are open to candidates in any location.
- Collaborate effectively with project manager, other developers, and external teams in an agile environment
- Embrace a culture of collaboration and community, where open communication, internal mentorship, and contributing to open-source projects are just a few of our values
- Exercise good judgment to stay productive when blocked, working on multiple prioritized projects as well as utilizing allotted professional-development time
- Communicate for clarification when a ticket is not sufficiently scoped to be actionable
Candidates who meet most but not all requirements for this position are urged to apply.
- Prior training or experience in web and/or application development
- Excellent communication skills, with no hesitation in raising concerns and sharing issues in slack, meetings, etc.
- Organizational skills, including a proactive attitude regarding asking questions, seeking clarification, following up on open issues, and getting clarity on priorities and action items
- Ability to contextualize new information and to pick up new concepts quickly
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to constantly expand technical knowledge
Desired Skills (not required):
- Experience writing rspec and function tests and general familiarity with test-driven development
- Experience in an agile development environment
Benefits of Working for Notch8:
- Dedicated hours allocated to professional development
- Being an autonomous member of a collaborative and supportive team
- Flexible work hours – we make work-life balance a priority
- Work-from-home and remote work options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision and 401K plans
- Member of a strong community network in both the local San Diego tech scene and the international Samvera community
Notch8 was started in 2007 with the intent of creating a healthy work environment, focused on quality products and building good relationships, both internally and externally. Today, Notch8 is proud of our reputation for leadership in the local tech community, as well as the Ruby and Samvera communities. We believe in a virtuous cycle of happy: happy engineers build great software; great software makes happy clients. We also believe all team members have the right to:
- Strong community involvement
- Trust, respect, and autonomy
- Great work-life balance
Scientist.com was Notch8’s first client, and in 2020 we formally became part of the Scientist.com family. Read more about our shared goals and values at https://www.scientist.com/careers/. (Note that this position is not posted on the Scientist.com career site and there’s no need to apply there.)
Notch8 and Scientist.com are committed to maintaining a diverse work environment, which benefits our company and our clients. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider applications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, family status, age, or veteran status.
Send your resume or CV and a cover letter to [email protected] for consideration for this position.