Proprietary API and Database Integration
The Undergraduate Research Portal (URP) is a service of the University of California, San Diego’s Office of Research Affairs. It provides a gateway for faculty to identify students qualified to assist with their research needs, and for students to locate on- and off-campus research positions to support their studies.
After parting with their previous developer, Notch8 was retained to connect and sync data with Career Services’ PortTriton API and to integrate with UCSD’s single sign platform.
There were three factors that turned out to be central to our success on this project. First, our ability to pick up where another developer had left off allowed us to continue meaningful development without a significant disruption in productivity or efficiency. Second, our extensive experience building apps that connect proprietary or public APIs allowed our development to catch up for lost time. Finally, our experience supervising and mentoring young developers allowed us to make great use of the development resources provided by UCSD.
“What impressed me the most was Notch8’s ability to effectively manage a complex project involving multiple entities on UCSD’s campus. The project would not have been successful without their technical expertise, work ethic, and initiative. I look forward to continuing my collaboration with Notch8.”
-Academic Coordinator, Undergraduate Research University of California, San Diego Melissa Kurtis Micou, Ph.D.
Features and Implementations
Deep LinkedIn Integration
- Connect with LinkedIn
- Pulling data from LinkIn in to the profiles
Integration with Port Triton and UCSD Single Sign On
- Worked directly with other groups to establish credentials and feature plan
- Smoothed out road bumps inherent to these kinds of integration
- Handled edge cases, error states, and positive paths
Worked with Existing team
- Mentored development intern
- Coordinated information transfer from previous developer
- Worked with project staff to fit project within existing budget
Search and Communication
- Email integration for both students and partners
- Full featured search with detailed drill down
- Implemented admin interface so that non-technical staff can make updates
Have a need for some custom software? Want to learn more about what we can do? Get in touch!